Our Engagement Model
© copyright: EBBESEN activities Aps, 2016
ENGAGEMENT MODEL PHASES: PURPOSE AND KEY DELIVERABLES
The Key Model features three phases that progress from assets in the current state, to defining the landing zone for success to driving aligned actions and results:
- Grounding — Understanding strengths, weakness and the current challenge
- Strategy Charette — Defining success, understanding the specific change agenda to drive it, and creating the posture to achieve it
- Detailed Solutioning and Synthesis — Targeted, iterative action on the ground to solution for agreed results and synthesis of learnings about what works, why and how to build on it.
This is a targeted learning model that builds capability in the organisation based on creating successes, energising teams and generating urgency, creativity and drive for sustained achievement. The model is repeatable and open to be adaptable to address the specifics of the challenge at hand.
The Grounding Phase provides the platform from which we work with your organisation to stretch towards next step sucess.
In the Grounding Phase, we reach shared understanding of current:
- Strategic imperatives, targets and boundary conditions
- Results being generated
- Capabilities underpinning those results, and
- The backdrop upon which your organisation exerts influence.
This is a “tuning-in” phase where we work with you to surface key insights about standing assets, the commercial situation and boundaries. This includes analysis of the product portfolio, pipeline dynamics, quality of capabilities and the nuances around how the organisation competes, with whom, where and when, and how you win.
We conclude this Grounding Phase with external inspiration to expand horizons and open new vectors for discussion in the Strategy Charette phase.
Grounding Phase key deliverables, typically include:
- Shared understanding of the key perspectives driving the current strategy. These might include strategy imperatives and principles, financial objectives, business transformation objectives, key investments underway, etc.
- Review of the standing portfolio and pipeline linked to an assessment of the repertoire of current capabilities.
- Inspiration seminars focusing on others’ strategic outcomes and results.
STRATEGIC CHARETTE PHASE
In the Strategic Charette Phase we support your team in identify the landing zone for the winning approach, designing the change agenda required to meet the challenge and instilling the right posture for successful action.
In the Strategic Charette Phase we prepare to create results based on:
- Defining the target landing zone based on findings from the Grounding Phase and analysis of the minimum gap-to-close
- Sources of “pull” that build on strength to accelerate initial success, and
- Creating the posture for successful action via requirements to the change agenda, targets and incentives and the organisational plan
In this phase we create “set-up for success”: The context for insightful solutioning, momentum and successful action. Some of the activity focus will be internal, but always with a focus on results through external impact. In this phase we find opportunties and the quick wins to drive early momentum on aligned results. This includes planning based on the nature of the challenge and change required, understanding the affordances at hand and those to be created, and shaping winning combinations of people, processes, and technology.
We conclude the Strategic Charette with a review of the plan to capture both quick-wins and the near-term shots to be executed in the Detailed Solutioning phase.
Strategic Charette Phase key deliverables, typically include:
- Shared understanding of the landing zone and gap-to-close
- This translated into the change agenda and planning required to create posture for successful action
- Agreement on specific short and near term criteria for success.
DETAILED SOLUTIONING AND SYNTHESIS PHASE
In the Detailed Solutioning and Synthesis Phase we undertake targeted sprints and action learning: Focused activities to drive results and key learnings. The number and design of the sprints is jointly determined based on your situation. Consistent is our commitment in supporting your team to optimise for high quality results and insightful learning.
Each sprint is well-defined in terms of goals, means, targets and learning objectives. Some sprints are internal exercises, e.g., implement or improve a key business capability; others are external, e.g., test a concept in the market and generate lead insight. The specifics are always tailored to successful action learning.
We conclude Detailed Solutioning and Synthesis with a reflection facilitation to assure organisational learning clearing based on the end-to-end process, the results and next steps.
This engagementmodel was designed, tested and finalized during a large international merger and has later proven its value in large as well in small change projects.